Our first few weeks are nearing an end and I wanted to send out a quick update to parents and students concerning recent and upcoming events in class.
- September 15th or 16th, both Junior and Senior History classes will go downtown on a field trip to Mao’s Mausoleum and the National Museum. More news on this later; permission slips will be going home soon.
- Next week, the first Approaches To Learning grades will be reported. Students have been reminded of this and they have also been reminded of the ways that they can improve their performance between now and then. –This is particularly important for the students in our IB History classes who are using the new gradeless system. Please ask your student if she is keeping up with ATL.
- I promised on Back to School Night that I would share the course book, and here it is in its latest form.
- Our first Academic Challenge Day has passed, and although it was a soft introduction, the top three students from each class earned their places, so please applaud their performance. They are:
- Global Politics:
- Elizabeth M.
- Ariana L.
- Kevin W.
- History A2:
- Kevin Y.
- Emily R.
- Thomas C.
- History A4:
- Jessie F.
- Petra B.
- Tony J.
- Global Politics:
- The questions that were asked of the students on our Challenge day are listed below, so that our community can keep up with our studies and review, and so that those students who need to revise can do so.
As always, please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns!
Challenge Questions: First Challenge Global Politics and History I
Challenge 1: C3 Geography
- Name at least one country on the following peninsulae: Balkan, Iberian, Anatolia.
- What three countries comprised French Indonesia?
- Put the following in order from largest to smallest: Africa, Europe, Asia, India, Brazil, The USA
- Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia and other small nations all used to be united in federation under what name?
- What is the name of the type of map used by European navigators during the Age of Exploration, still widely used in classrooms, that displays highly inaccurate perspectives on the word.
- What European country ceased to exist from 1795 to 1918?
- What is the most populous Muslim country in the world?
- What two cities host UN headquarters buildings?
- Name 5 countries that border or contain some section of the Himalayas.
- What are the 4 IB regions?
Challenge 2: IBO History or Politics
- Who was the African leader most closely associated with the fight against apartheid?
- What was the name of the German government during the Interwar Period?
- Which countries formed the Allied Powers in WWI?
- Who is responsible for leading the writing team that crafted the UDHR?
- The movie Avatar is a sci-fi depiction of what historical phenomenon?
- At the end of WWII, which two countries occupied Korea?
- What was the name of the failed, us-supported, invasion of Cuba in 1961?
- Who was Stalin’s number one opponent in his quest for the Soviet leadership?
- Who was the Argentinian doctor who joined Castro’s revolution in Cuba?
- In what war did the United States win Texas, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and other territories in the West of the country?
- What was the name of the Eastern Roman Empire?
- What was the name of the authoritarian leader who ruled Korea in the 60s?
- German philosopher who devised the modern (non-Greek) concept of cosmopolitanism?
- Which Roman legal scholar said, “To not learn what happened before you were born is to forever remain a child.”
- What are the names of the two major political parties in the United States?
- What are the names of the two ethnic groups that fought each other during the Rwandan genocide?
- Who was the only non-protestant president of the USA?
- What is the acronym for the Southeast Asian version of NATO?
- What do the letters of NATO stand for?
- How many members sit on the UN Security council?
- Who are the P5?
- What is the name of the democracy leader in Burma who was arrested in 1988 and subjected to 16 years of house arrest in her own home in Yangon?
- Greenland is a territory of what country?
- What was the nickname of the 2009 protests in Iran?
Challenge 3: Approaches to Learning
- We have replaced multiple-choice exams with what app?
- What is the name of an image embedded on s term in our vocab app?
- Who are the two people on the cover of your syllabus?
- Where is Mr. T from?
- We don’t use the term “homework” in this class. What term do we use?
- What is the name of the course blog?
- What should your username look like in Evernote?