The competition was fierce on the first Challenge Day for the senior classes. The survivors who made it out of the derby of broken bodies and spirits were:
- Robert L.
- Jasmina V.
- Andrea H.
- Garrett L.
- Kevin W.
- Alex G.
For those who are “not yets” (as in not yet winners) the work you need to do in order to earn a spot at the victors table next time is below. We are going to go with a September 12th deadline for this work.
Good luck now and in your next challenge!
Section 1: Geography
- List 6 countries of the Warsaw Pact other than the the Soviet Union
- What 5 countries comprised British India?
- What three African countries were formerly colonized by Belgium?
- Name three countries that used to be a part of Yugoslavia
- What is the name of the type of map used by European navigators during the Age of Exploration, still widely used in classrooms, that displays highly inaccurate size perspectives on the world.
- What is the newest officially recognized country in the world?
- What country’s geography is largely defined by the Ganges river basin?
- Name 4 US states that were Mexican territory before the Mexican-American war.
- Name the four empires that ceased to exist as a direct result of WWI.
- What are the 4 IB regions?
Section 2: IB History of the 20th Century: Cold War and Decolonization
- Who was the secretary of state under Kennedy?
- When were the 13 days? (Exactly)
- What countries were given nearly $400 million in aid to prevent the spread of Communism in 1947?
- Who was the author of the Long Telegram?
- What is the term used to describe the Cold War in the sense that it started in 1917 as a conflict between capitalism and communism?
- What is the name of the Cold War theory that suggests that the Cold War was just a smokescreen behind which the USA attempted to secure dominance of the capitalist world?
- What document agreed to the formation of the United Nations?
- What Congolese leader was an early victim to Cold War maneuvering by the two superpowers?
- Who first suggested the formation of the Non-Aligned Movement?
- Ironically, the Soviet Union, rather than Germany, found itself facing a two front war in the 70s and 80s with what two potential enemies?
- What two major Cold War crises took place in 1956?
- What were the names of the two “countries” formed by uniting the British. American and French sectors of the divided West Germany?
Section 3: IB History of the 20th Century: Auth Leaders, Wars, USFP
- What were the four key territories the US gained via the SA war?
- What was the name of the legislative document that ostensibly turned power over to the Cubans after the SA war?
- Who were Stalin’s partners in the Triumvirs?
- Name the big three conferences of the Grand Alliance held during WWI.
- What was the name of the documentary we watched that addressed LA immigration to the USA?
- What was the name of the program that brought Mexican workers to the United States to work during WWII?
- What was the battle that signaled the end of the First Indochina War?
- What are the two turning point battles of WWII: one from the ET and the other from the PT.
- What is the name often used to describe the relationship between connected core and peripheral states?
- Who directed “Triumph of the Will”?
- Who was the primary German historian who disagreed with Fritz Fischer?
- What was the name of the bombing campaign that attempted to beat the North Vietnamese forces into submission toward the end of the VW?