“It means self-organizing.” “It means elegantly self-disciplined, self-regulating, self-maintained. That’s what wilderness is. Nobody has to do the management plan for it. So I say to people, “let’s trust in the self-disciplined elegance of wild mind”. Practically speaking, a life that is vowed to simplicity, appropriate boldness, good humor, gratitude, unstinting work and play, and lots of walking, brings us close to the actually existing world and its wholeness.”
- Patience, maturity and cordial understanding and collegiality among the members of the class.
- Appropriate boldness.
- A cosmopolitan poise that allows you to appreciate sarcasm as a means of expressing affection and respect.
- Anything on this list, but the above, is subject to change.
- Independence and initiative: especially in terms of planning, self-organization and workflow. –Just as you must learn to pace yourself while sitting for essay exams, you must learn to pace yourself in terms of research and production. Students new to IB generally find that the source of many of their woes and early failures stem from not taking planning seriously enough.
- More than independence, autonomy.
- Obeying the Spirit of the Law, not litigating the letter of the law.
- Meta-cognition of the content.
- Increasing sophistication of reading, writing, thought, action.
- Engagement and action: we will empty the ivory tower to storm the Bastille on a regular basis.
- Bi/multi-dialectalism. (Code-switching)
- Paperlessness to the highest degree possible: non-negotiable.
- The ability to withstand a cool room, or the foresight to bring appropriate attire.
- A desire to will the good.